2017 SHECP Symposium speaker videos are now available at https://www.shepherdconsortium.org/conferences/symposium/ for the speakers and discussions during the 2017 SHECP Symposium on “Criminal Justice Poverty and Race.” The event was held at the Virginia Military Institute Center for Leadership and Ethics on Monday, July 31, 2017, in Lexington, Virginia. Speakers and discussion are:
- Paul Butler, Albert Brick Professor in Law at Georgetown University and author of Chokehold: Policing Black Men, on “Just Policing”
- James Forman Jr., Professor of Law at Yale University and author of Locking Up Our Own: Crime and Punishment in Black America (on the Longlist for Non-fiction National Book Award in 2017) on “Just Prosecution, Defense, and Sentencing”
- Robin Steinberg, Founder and Executive Director of the Bronx Public Defenders on “Re-entry for Dignity and a Productive Life”
- Sarah Farmer, Associate Research Scholar at Yale University Divinity School and co-author of Raising Hope: Four Paths to Courageous Living for Black Youth moderating a discussion among the three speakers
- A discussion between Paul Butler and James Forman Jr.
These videos are available for research and citation.