Projected 2021 Timetable for Summer 2021 Internships
Prior to February 6th:
- Accept your school’s offer to participate.
- Review and sign the 2021 Participation Agreement (expected January 2021) and provide to your internship director.
- Provide completed W-9 form to your internship director. (This will allow SHECP to provide you with a check for groceries and commuting in late May. The IRS considers this income, so you will then receive an IRS 1099 form by February 2022. If you file taxes you would need to include this as income.)
After February 6th
- Receive an email from SHECP Internship Director welcoming you to the SHECP Internship, accompanied by the SHECP 2021 Internship Handbook.
- Read handbook.
- Register as a SHECP intern, providing information needed for the internship and the matching process. This includes identifying internship placements that draw your interest, uploading a photo, and providing emergency contact info and dietary restrictions.
- Sign-up for a phone consultation to discuss your skills and learning goals and possible internship matches with SHECP Internship Director.
February 6th – March 16th:
- Phone meeting with SHECP Internship Director to discuss internship goals and possible placements to identify your top six or seven internship options in at least four different geographic locations.
By April 1st:
- Student receives email notification from SHECP of internship match. Student will receive supervisor contact information.
- Student phones supervisor within a day or two to set up a phone interview. Many supervisors are very busy, and some can be hard to reach. The student is responsible for connecting with the agency supervisor for a matching conversation or date set within a week of email receipt.
- After phone conversation, student and supervisor notify SHECP if the match is confirmed, or indicate it’s not a match and a new matching process begins.
By April 25th:
- In conversation with the agency supervisor, the student develops and signs a Community Learning Agreement (2021 document will be posted by March).
By May 24th:
- SHECP mails checks to interns at the permanent address identified on W-9 forms (A few members provide funding directly to interns.)
- Visit the communications hub for important cohort information.
April, May & early June (dates TDB) – Internship orientation on-line workshops for interns.
Thursday, June 5th – Opening Conference – online
Saturday, June 5th – Travel to housing in internship city
Monday, June 7th – First day of work.
June and July – weekly cohort meetings
Thursday, July 29th – Final day of work.
July 30th – August 1st (tentative): Closing Conference: Location TBA
Commitment to the Program
SHECP interns fulfill their internship opportunity to best of their ability, including completing their full-time work (300 – 320 hours) and by participating in the orientation sessions, cohort meetings, and Closing Conference.
The internship and cohort must be the intern’s top priority and primary obligation. To fully participate in the experience, we ask that interns not hold any other form of employment during their summer work with the SHECP.
Students volunteer full-time (35 – 40 hours per week) with one holiday observance on July 4th. In cases of illness, students must be in touch with their internship supervisor so the supervisor is fully informed. Three excused absences are the maximum permitted by the program.
On occasion, an intern has been excused from a day of work for a wedding of an immediate family member or for one in which they are an official participant. In those rare cases, the intern must make arrangements in writing with SHECP, the member-school internship director, and the agency supervisor well before the internship begins.