Timetable for Summer 2021 Internships
(See January 27th news release about changes to summer program. Dates below have been updated, as of February 19th.)
Prior to February 15th:
- Accept your school’s offer to participate by the deadline set by the college.
- Review and sign the 2021 Participation Agreement and provide to your internship director.
- Provide completed W-9 form to your internship director. (This will allow SHECP to provide you with a check for groceries and commuting in late May. The IRS considers this income, so you will then receive an IRS 1099 form by February 2022. If you file taxes you would need to include this as income.)
After February 25th:
- Receive an email from SHECP Internship Director welcoming you to the SHECP Internship, accompanied by the SHECP 2021 Internship Handbook.
- Read handbook.
- Register as a SHECP intern, providing information needed for the internship and the matching process. This includes identifying internship placements that draw your interest, uploading a photo, and providing emergency contact info and dietary restrictions.
- Sign-up for a phone consultation to discuss your skills and learning goals and possible internship matches with SHECP Internship Director.
March 1 – May 1:
- Phone meeting with SHECP Internship Director: discuss internship goals and possible placements and remote/virtual verses in-person options; identify your top six or seven internship options .
By May 7th:
- Student receives email notification from SHECP of internship match. Student will receive supervisor contact information.
- Student phones supervisor within a day or two to set up a phone interview. Many supervisors are very busy, and some can be hard to reach. The student is responsible for connecting with the agency supervisor for a matching conversation or date set within a week of email receipt.
- After phone conversation, student and supervisor notify SHECP if the match is confirmed, or indicate it’s not a match and a new matching process begins.
By May 15th:
- In coordination with the agency supervisor and college internship director, the student develops and signs a Community Learning Agreement.
By June 1st:
- SHECP mails checks to interns at the permanent address identified on W-9 forms (A few members provide funding directly to interns.)
April, May & early June – Internship orientation on-line modules for interns
Thursday, June 3rd – Opening Conference (Virtual)
Monday, June 7th – First day of work
June and July – Weekly cohort meetings on Wednesdays
Thursday, July 29th – Final day of work
Friday, July 30th – Closing Conference (Virtual)
Commitment to the Program
SHECP interns fulfill their internship opportunity to best of their ability, including completing their internship work (25 hours per week) and by participating in the orientation sessions, Opening Conference, weekly cohort meetings (Wednesdays), Closing Conference, a final presentation, and program assessment.
The internship and cohort must be the intern’s top priority and primary obligation during June and July.
In cases of illness, students must be in touch with their internship supervisor so the supervisor is fully informed. Three excused absences are the maximum permitted by the program.
On occasion, an intern has been excused from a day of work for a wedding of an immediate family member or for one in which they are an official participant. In those rare cases, the intern must make arrangements in writing with SHECP, the member school internship director, and the agency supervisor well before the internship begins.
updated January 29, 2021