2021 Program dates: Thursday, June 3rd – Sunday, August 1st, 2021
Application: Applications for Summer 2021 are now being accepted. Each college has its own deadline. Contact your college internship director to learn the deadline for your college.
Download the Internship Application Flyer>>
- Student must be in enrolled in a SHECP Member School.
- Student must be 18 years of age or older.
- Successful completion of the poverty introductory course, or other applicable college course.
- Important consideration:
- Situations in our program may be very stressful for some participants. Please review any ongoing medical or psychological needs you may have with your treating clinicians, carefully consider whether this is the right program for you, and discuss with us any appropriate accommodations you may require.
Students complete the online application and upload the application packet.
The packet includes:
- Online application includes:
- Several short essays
- Resume (upload)
- Name and email address of the person who has agreed to serve as a reference on your behalf.
- Basic information about you, contact info, major, language proficiency, etc…
- Indicate one or two internship fields of interests. Describe skills, experience, academic grounding you would bring to an agency in these fields.
- Additional information required off-line:
- Campus Interview
- One Academic, Professional, and Other Reference
- You must receive the consent of an individual to serve as a reference before you click submit on your application. Reflect on who would be a strong and knowledgable reference.
- On your application, you will provide the name and email address for your reference.
- SHECP will connect with the reference to provide a link to an online form and directions. Reference can complete short responses on line or upload a signed letter of recommendation.
- References will be asked to address your level of maturity, flexibility, academic and professional skills, and readiness for a challenging, independent, professional learning experience.
- Person making recommendation may be an previous or current employer, teacher, professors, pastor, or other person who knows you well. It should not be your school’s internship director.
- Please do not ask the recommender to address specific internship placements in the reference.
Internship Matching Process
Once the member school has accepted a student as a SHECP Intern and the intern has completed all paperwork, the student registers and the internship matching process will begin. This process takes place during, January, February, and March.
- A meeting is schedule with the SHECP Internship Director to discuss the students professional goals and possible internships placements. Student and Internship Director identify five – seven possible placements located in at least four different geographic locations.
- SHECP Internship Director matches the student with an organization, balancing the student preferences with commitments to organizations in different geographic regions and housing commitments.
- Student, agency, and college are notified of the match via email from SHECP by April 1. The agency receives the student’s resume, letter of recommendation, and some essay responses.
- The student initiates a phone interview with the agency. After the call, both parties must confirm the match before the placement is finalized. If one party feels it’s not a good match, the SHECP Internship Director will match the intern in another agency. (A second match is not common, but there are several each year for a wide variety of reasons.)
- Once matched, the student develops with the agency supervisor a Community Learning Agreement (CLA) by April 10 in preparation for the internship. This helps to further align expectations.