SHECP designs two annual conferences for SHECP interns. The Opening Conference serves to orient SHECP interns prior to their summer internship, and the Closing Conference is the opportunity for interns to report on their summer learning. SHECP is grateful to the Charles A. Frueauff Foundation for its ongoing support of these two conferences.
The 2020 Opening Conference will take place at Marymount University in Arlington, Virginia (main campus), June 4 – 6.
The 2020 Closing Conference will also take place at Marymount University, July 31 – August 2.
The SHECP Symposium was held annually in late July or early August, 2012 – 2017. The event took place at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017); the Atlanta Speech School in Atlanta, GA (2016); and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (2012). Past themes of the symposium have included:
- 2017 – Criminal Justice, Poverty, and Race
- 2016 – Childhood Literacy as a Public Health and Economic Imperative
- 2015 – Food, Nutrition, and Health in Children from Low Socioeconomic Families
- 2014 – Organizing People and Money for Power and Transformation & the Affordable Care Act
- 2013 – Poverty, families, and children, and policies that bear on low SES families
- 2012 – What undergraduates and professional school students need to know about poverty and about community initiatives and policy in order to diminish poverty