SHECP designs two annual conferences for SHECP Interns. The Opening Conference serves to orient SHECP Interns prior to their summer internship, and the Closing Conference is the opportunity for interns to report on their summer learning. SHECP is grateful to the Charles A. Frueauff Foundation for its ongoing support of these two conferences.
The 2018 Opening Conference will take place Thursday, June 7 – Saturday, June 9 at Marymount University in Arlington, Virginia (main campus). This will be the fourth year that interns have convened at Marymount for the orientation. Previously, the Opening Conference took place at Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia.
The 2018 Closing Conference will take place at the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio, August 3 – 5. The Closing Conference has been held in conjunction with the Symposium. When in Lexington, the Closing Conference has taken place on the campus of Washington and Lee University.
The SHECP Symposium has been held annually in late July or early August since 2012. Over the years this event has taken place at the Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017); the Atlanta Speech School in Atlanta, GA (2016); and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (2012). Past themes of the symposium have included:
- 2017 – Criminal Justice, Poverty, and Race
- 2016 – Childhood Literacy as a Public Health and Economic Imperative
- 2015 – Food, Nutrition, and Health in Children from Low Socioeconomic Families
- 2014 – Organizing People and Money for Power and Transformation & the Affordable Care Act
- 2013 – Poverty, families, and children, and policies that bear on low SES families
- 2012 – What undergraduates and professional school students need to know about poverty and about community initiatives and policy in order to diminish poverty