Type: 8 Month Fellowship (start August 4, 2017)
Experience: Undergraduate Degree (ESL Experience Preferable)
Functions: Education and Development
Fellowship Industry: Global Health and Rural Development (Non-Profit Sector)
The Oda Foundation provides health and education services to impoverished communities in Nepal’s remote regions. The Foundation’s clinic serves over a thousand patients a month and has helped significantly reduce regional mortality rates. The Foundation also supports the local school system and hosts tutoring programs for hundreds of children in a Foundation-owned and -operated facility. Our fellows enjoy a stimulating, ever changing work environment with significant opportunities for development and a real opportunity to make a difference. With our focus on health and education in mind, we expect all new employees to embrace significant responsibility.
English Fellow, Kalikot Nepal
Position Type: Full-time, unpaid – room and board included In collaboration with the Foundation’s Director, Director of Education, and our previous English Fellow, the Education Fellow will split time between the Foundation’s classroom and the local government school supporting English language programs. The candidate will have an enormous voice in setting the tone of this program and we are looking for a positive, self-starter to work with our team to continue building on our education efforts in Oda. Fellows will arrive in Kathamandu, Nepal on August 5, 2017 and take 3 weeks of a Nepali language class before traveling out to the Foundation’s site in Kalikot. Candidates must possess desire and excitement to dive head first into the Nepali language upon arrival in Nepal. Much of this job entails working with and communicating effectively with marginalized Nepali’s with little to no English comprehension.
Key responsibilities include:
• In collaboration with our Nepali Director of Education, the fellow will help teach 5 English classes a day to children 7 to 17 years old.
• Daily lesson planning for all 5 classes.
• Working with Oda Foundation staff members to expand upon existing curriculum in the Foundation’s “Crebilly” Classroom.
• Teaching within the government school to support a public/private partnership o Half of the fellowship will take place in the Foundation Classroom while the other half will be spent in the local government school (a fifteen minute walk)
• Maintaining student records, attendance, grades, and evaluations.
• Assisting Oda staff with general operations and education strategies.
• Coordinating with the Fellows team to gather social media material, website updates regarding classroom activities, and emails supporting sponsorship efforts
• Working with Fellows team to continue weekly preventative health education curriculum and weekend wellness activities
• Identifying and evaluating standout students for scholarship opportunities. Successful candidates will have:
• A desire to work in the education or development sector, specifically in a developing country.
• An ESL/TOEFL certificate or training is not a requirement but will stand out
• An open-minded attitude towards living and working in extremely remote and rural Nepal. There are many challenges that accompany living and working in a developing country; fellows will have limited access to internet and electricity.
• A strong work ethic and a genuine desire to make a difference in the lives of the people living in the Karnali Zone of Nepal.
• A cultural competence and patient nature towards dealing with a drastically different education environment than what is found in developed countries.
• A proven track record for success, whether this is academically or otherwise.
HOW TO APPLY: For more information about our organization please visit www.odafoundation.org. Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com by May 1st, 2017. Application materials will be viewed and interviews will be determined on a rolling basis. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Please note the selected candidate will be required to submit to a liability waiver and proof of international travel insurance.